Sunday, December 5, 2010

How Great is Our God

"Your love, LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulnes to the skies. Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep. You, LORD, preserve both people and animals. How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light." -Psalm 36:4-9



It's been a while since I've taken the time to share, but let me reassure you, it's not that there's little to be said. Every day there are new things to praise God for, and see as a direct providence from His almighty hand.

One of the blessings being our annual Thanksgiving celebration. Over 100 of us gathered together in the dining hall to share in a "family-style" meal. Logistically, It's kind of tricky to get this many people together and seated in one building. The tables were set within a giant U shape which created the illusion of an intimate meal. Though it was a tight squeeze, we managed well and were well-fed. There was so much abundance that our leftovers carried through 3 or 4 days after!
(Above photo shows some of the female residents after the Thanksgiving meal)




Also, in the month of November we had the opportunity to serve at a nearby ministry, Camp Spofford. Though some were far from thrilled to have to spend 8 hours of their Saturday raking leaves outside, it ended up being a good time of bonding between staff and residents. According to one of the maintenance guys at Spofford, what we did with fifty or so people, they otherwise would have had to accomplish with two. The weather was nice enough so that we were able to rake above and beyond what they had asked of us. I personally was blessed by the attitude with which many worked. At some point in the day it seemed as though the "I can't believe we have to do this" mentality that can sometimes arise in mandatory events, switched into a "let's make the most of it" one. That switch really made the difference.

Continuing with the theme of blessings, I've got many of my own to praise God for. The Mono has cleared up significantly, and though I have not been to the doctor since, I've been met with increasing strength. I've had other symptoms that have been troubling like painful, swollen knees, but thankfully the pain tends to come and go. As I write, I've had a good two-week stretch with hardly any knee pain! Also, many of you were faithfully praying for me in the area of finances. There was a definite scare back at the end of September where I thought I'd have to leave before my commitment ends in January. Around that time, I was prayerfully seeking God's wisdom and direction. I was met with the phrase "Trust." over and over again. What a blessing it is to be writing this in retrospect, when I remember how hopeless I felt. My money was gone, my health was failing, and I felt torn because the last thing I wanted to do was leave. I praise Him for being my rock during that uncertain time... and for providing for my every need!


Many of you are aware that my commitment here ends January 12th. I decided, through prayer and godly counsel, to not recommitment for another year. As I write this to you though, I feel the strong urgency to ask for your prayers for me in these last 4 or 5 weeks at His Mansion. While I was offered my old job back at Forever 21 in CT, and a place to live, I'd be lying to tell you that I have a complete sense of peace about this. I don't. A big part of my heart would like to stay... and wonders if my decision to leave is God's will... OR evidence of my lack of faith. HE supplied when my money ran out... HE supplied when my strength wasn't there... HE can also make it possible for me financially to stay longer. Please pray that the Lord would make His will for my next step very clear, and that I will walk forth in faith!


Thank you all for your prayers & support!
May He bless you this Christmas season with fresh reminders of His majesty.

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment